A man, who sustained severe hearing loss after employer negligence, has been awarded a five-figure settlement of compensation for his injuries.
Alan Pashley, a sixty-one-year old man from Northfield in Birmingham, worked as an HGV fitter at Birmingham City Council for nearly forty years. During this time, Alan was regularly exposed to loud noises as he was required to use a compressed air gun to remove wheels from the heavy goods vehicles, facilitating the realignment of their brakes and clutches.
Yet at no point during his four-decade employment was Alan provided with adequate ear protection to protect him from the damaging effects of excessively loud noises. As such, Alan has been diagnosed with severe hearing loss and mind tinnitus. His doctors have told him that, had he been provided with adequate ear protection, his hearing loss would be delayed by around a decade.
Alan then decided to consult a personal injuries solicitor and subsequently made a claim for work injury compensation against his former employers, Birmingham City Council. The council admitted liability for Alan’s injuries, and after a period of negotiation, the parties agreed on a five-figure settlement of compensation. This will help Alan, who has three children and six grandchildren, pay hearing aids for the rest of his life.
In a comment to his local paper, Alan told of how the injury has affected his life: “Poor hearing and tinnitus are extremely difficult and frustrating to deal with and they have a huge impact on my day-to-day life. They affect simple things like following a conversation to hearing the TV.”
“I was really shocked to find out the noise at work caused the hearing loss I was suffering and I think it is important that employers do everything they can to prevent people’s hearing being negatively impacted by noisy work environments. The only thing I can hope is that cases like mine are a reminder to improve workplace safety, particularly for people who spend a lot of time in a noisy environment.”
Alan´s solicitor also commented that: “Unfortunately, we regularly see individuals like Alan who was failed by his employers. Companies continue to fail to take the necessary precautions to protect staff from hearing damage as a result of working closely with these tools.”Read More